Monday, April 27, 2015

My First Race Recap

Saturday morning I did something a little crazy!  Some would say *a lot* crazy.  I did the Rose City Run 10k!!


What in the world?!  I'm still classified as "morbidly obese."  I can't run a mile straight.  I certainly don't look like a runner.  

But I did it.  All 6.2 miles.  I had trained in the weeks prior (not near as long as I probably should have, honestly.)  And I'd done 5 miles by myself a couple weeks ago, in preparation for the big day.  

So my plan was to keep up a steady pace throughout the entire race - I've heard the horror stories, where runners hit it hard to start with, and wind up struggling at the end.  

I downloaded an interval app that would make different noises when I needed to run, and again when I needed to walk.  Because can't run a lot on my own, I have to do it in intervals.  So I set the app for running for 1 minute, walking for two.  So that's my version of running.  Hey, don't knock it.  It's better than the couch.  

So the morning of the race, I was freaking out.  I mean, seriously. Freaking. Out.  FIGHTING to keep from having a panic attack.  Seriously.

Physically, I knew I could make it.  But there were several mental hurdles I was trying to get over.  

I didn't want to be last. (I'd looked up the past 2 years's finish times and the last person came in both years at 1:40, so I knew that was the time to beat.) I didn't want people looking at me and feeling pity for me because, "bless her heart, she's trying".  I didn't want to have the police car following me. I didn't want to have the medic cart pacing with me, probably thinking I was going to fall out. 

So when we arrived at the start line, we gathered with my coworkers and took the "before" pic.  My company is super supportive of any fitness endeavors, so we always try to represent them well.  I was seriously so nervous, I was having to concentrate on not breaking down.  Like, I could have boo-hoo cried or just thrown up all over everyone there. But I knew I couldn't give up now - we hadn't even started yet!

So we're lined up at the starting line.  I could barely hear the announcements and such, but I did notice that it didn't seem like people were lining up according to their projected pace.  The last 5k I did (a year ago), they had the runners group themselves at the starting line so that the faster ones were at the front, and the slower ones at the back.  I'm guessing that keeps down the traffic jams and possible injuries. 

But that didn't seem to be a problem here.  In a way, time seemed to crawl by while the coordinator was talking before starting the race, but before I knew it we were off!  I didn't want to start out running -- I had been just standing there with no warm-up and I do not want to deal with any plantar fasciitis mess again.  So I walked for the first minute or two, then started jogging until the next whistle in my earphones told me it was time to walk.  

Our course started on the beautiful bricked-roads of downtown Thomasville.  I hardly ever get to enjoy the downtown area, so it was kind of nice being in that environment.  I was just worried I'd step wrong or trip over a brick, so I kept my eyes down most of the time.  (Do other runners think about that?  Or just me?) I did not want to be spilling it at all, much less at the start of the race!  

All my coworkers are way more fit than me, so they were long gone at the start.  I honestly thought I was doing pretty good - and I was able to keep one of my coworkers in sight the entire race, and she's a lot smaller than me, so I was feeling pretty good.  I noticed about the second mile marker that there was a lot less people passing me -- but that was mainly because there was less people behind me left TO pass me.  

And of course, at this point, it starts raining.  RAINING. Do you know, I REALLY dislike rain.  I know, I know it's necessary.  But I don't like it.  So I prayed - "God, I can't handle this right now."  And --- no lie -- it stopped!  

Despite that God-wink, I started getting pretty down, but I kept reminding myself to keep going.  And several times I had to physically FORCE my feet to move quicker.  My thing is I'll run and feel good running, but I get tired so quickly.  I've worked up to a much better place than when I started, but about halfway through I couldn't keep running for the full minute, so I ran as long as I could each time it came up. 

Of course, during my recovery periods (2 minutes walking), I tried to keep my pace quick so that I wouldn't lose all the speed by walking too slow.   It was about this time that the last of the young-ish people walking/running passed me.  But I kept going.  

So about half-way through, I came to the realization that the last walk/runners had just passed me (an adorable older couple!).  I tried to use my run periods to overcome them, but I couldn't - I kept sliding back on my recovery periods.  So I just accepted it.  I was now the person the cop car with the blue lights (and, by-the-way --- EXTREMELY squeaky brakes!) was following.  

Between the 3rd and 4th mile, we passed by the local high school band playing fight songs (you know I'm a band geek, right?  I loved it!), and the cheerleaders were there too.  That was extremely thoughtful and appreciated.  But I was in a bad mood from being last --- and trying to breathe normally --- so I probably didn't appreciate it as much as I could have.  

About mile 5 or a little further, not only did I have the cop car following me, but the EMS medic golf cart was pacing with me.  I REALLY wanted to just look at him and say, "Listen, dude.  You're messing with my mojo.  Go somewhere!"  But he was just doing his job.  And he probably thought the chubby girl was going to fall out any minute, so I didn't say anything.  (Not that I could.)

Several times through out the course, we passed by families and spectators sitting in their little chairs cheering us on.  I didn't know any of them, but they were all very much appreciated.  Especially the two cute little boys (probably 3 and 4 years old) around mile 5 that cheered and clapped when they saw me.  They didn't know me from Adam, but they were happy to see me running. LOL

So we're coming upon "Heartbreak Hill".  This hill has quite the reputation, mind you.  It's the last hill before the finish line and apparently the place a lot of people have to stop or slow way down.   I've been able to keep the next person about 20 feet ahead of me - maybe less.  and the next person was about 20-30 feet ahead of him (my coworker).  Well, at Heartbreak Hill, the middle school cheerleaders and some cheerful, peppy adults were there to cheer us up the hill.  Someone was on a bull horn, saying things like "Push it! Push it! Rose City Run 2015! You're almost there!  Keep going!  You're less than a mile to finish! Go! Go! Go!"  That was kind of cool.  

So at the base of the hill I notice one of the adults had gone over to the man in front of me (about 10 feet in front of me now) and was patting him on the back and encouraging him.  Then next thing I know he was coming to me!  I was preparing myself to say thanks, ready for the pats on the back, and all that fuzzy, warm stuff to keep me going.  But then something crazy happened.

That man (I have no idea who he is) grabbed my hand, and said, "Come on, you got this!  Let's go run up that hill!" And he started running with me!  I'm like "o - o - OK". And I just run too.  

So here I am, all sweaty and exhausted and wondering where my next breath is coming from, and I'm running up the hill with this guy who's saying "you got this, you got this!" and I pass the man I'd been trailing for miles, and I get all the way to the top of the hill and finally started walking again.  And by the time I get there, my breathing probably sounded like I was hyperventilating!  But I did it.  And I just kept telling myself I'm not last.  I'm not last.  Don't slow down. Can't be last. Don't slow down.

I felt really good then.  Then just a few feet ahead - still breathing crazy hard, mind you - I nearly get run over by a cop car (I may be slightly exaggerating that part) and hear all this commotion about moving to the side, "here come the runners!"  I'm thinking, are you kidding?  The runners already finished!  But it was the kiddos doing their fun run!

First of all, they were super cute!  And some of them were tough!  But (and this is not a reflection on the kids - they all did great) there were still at least 10 or so 10K runners on the course and we were VERY close to the finish line - I'd say within a half-mile or so.  And we actually started running to get out of their way, but there was a LOT of confusion.  I think about 6 kids ran into my elbows or arms trying to get around me, and when we finally got to the chute, we back-of-the-pack 10Kers were not allowed through the chute.  We had to go around.  So we do not know our official times.  I asked a worker at the chute where we get our time cards and such but she was busy with the fun run kids, so of course she couldn't help me.  

According to my Runtastic app, I finished in 1:37:51.  

Here's my splits:
mile 1: 15:03
mile 2: 15:40
mile 3: 16:18
mile 4: 15:54
mile 5: 15:37
mile 6: 15:17
6.2: 16:56 slower because of having to go around the chute crowd/finish line and not remembering to turn my app off immediately at the line.  

If you're a runner, those probably seem REALLY slow.  But my best, best, best pace was 17:22 as of last week, so I'm pretty stoked with those times! 

My man and my sweet boy cheered me on a couple of times around the course - I found them waiting around mile 2 for me yelling and flashing our "I love you" sign language!   So precious!  

I did wind up getting a blister on my toe - really weird, because I knew not to wear new shoes or socks for a race.  No idea how that happened.  And of course, my legs were super tired and tight and exhausted and S-O-R-E.  But thankfully my Panaway oil helped me to walk mostly normal the rest of the day.  (and Sunday...and today...Love my Panaway oil blend!)

So, that's the (incredibly long) recap of my first 10K.  I can't say I'm looking forward to doing it again anytime soon.  But since this is a once-a-year thing here, I do have an entire year to plan for it and will be quite a bit lighter next time I try it.  

I have a 5k this coming Saturday, so that should be a piece of cake!! :-)  

By the way, I've lost a total of 18 lbs.  Many more to go, but happy for the ones I've lost.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment